The Miami-Dade County Grand Jury was convened to look at election laws after allegations of absentee ballots irregularities during the August 2012 primary. Their report has been published and includes recommendations to the Legislature and Miami-Dade County including:
- Restoring the prior requirement that absentee ballots be witnessed.
- Adding a new requirement for a declaration from anyone who assists an elector with their absentee ballot.
- Increasing the hours for early voting.
- Repealing the permanent absentee vote list by which individuals can request that they be mailed ballots each election without another request.
- Removing the ability of political parties to receive absentee ballot information.